Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day | by Pat

On this day for dads, here's a fun article on Irish linebacker Mo Crum, Jr. and his dad, former 1st Team All-American and Miami Hurricane, Maurice Crum, Sr.

Crum Sr. didn't guide his son toward any particular school. He instead told him to trust his own instincts and go with his gut.

That advice led Crum to Notre Dame.

"My dad told me that when you go on your visits, you'll know when it's right," said Crum Jr., who also had received offers from Michigan State, Tennessee and South Florida among others. "Coming here, I had that feeling. I just had that feeling when you look around and say, 'Man, this is where I want to be. This is where I want to go.'"

His father supported the decision.

No matter how badly he wanted to beat Notre Dame in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Crum Sr. had grown to respect the school and its football program.

"Educationally, it's one of the best institutions in America,'' Crum Sr. said. "Area-wise, it's a great location because he's somewhat like me in that he's laid-back. It isn't a party town by any means, and we've never been that type. In my opinion, it was a perfect thing for him."
Make sure to check out the rest of the article to hear about the elder Crum's take on playing in the 1988 "Catholic vs. Convicts" game and the many games of pickup basketball that honed the younger Crum's competitive attitude.